Today we will discuss what benefits can DevOps-as-a-Service bring to your business. We will consider the advantages and disadvantages of DevOps services for business.
DevOps methodology can help highly increase the efficiency of the software development process. As a business founder, you surely want to deliver software, products or services for end-users as fast as it is possible. You can implement it using DevOps-as-a-service. At first, let’s define, what is the DevOps itself.
DevOps-as-a-Service is the set of services and approaches that can help automate the development, testing and IT operations. We can say that the main DevOps principle is to remove all waste as wasted time, manual tasks or unneeded managerial approvals. Let’s have a look at the work process.
There are three main teams which work with software – developers, IT operations and quality assurance (QA) engineers. In the old Waterfall model, their work looked like endless throwing tasks to each other. It was accompanied by pauses in work and the result was rare releases and impossibility to catch up with the competitors who already use modern approaches.
For example, in Waterfall developers write code, give it to QA specialist, QA finds some bugs, gives the bug report back to the developer, who needs to fix it. It the same time, while QA performed the testing the developer started a new block of code and now needs to stop that work for the bugfix. The system administrators at that time are preparing the staging environment for deployment and waiting for the working software version. This process is very slow and laborious.
Thus, specialists who were tired of all these repetitive doings built the DevOps philosophy.
What does a DevOps engineer do?
In the DevOps methodology, the main person is a system administrator who practically manages the work of developers and QA engineers. DevOps-as-a-Service modifies the software development to the following steps:
- DevOps engineer writes a script for developers and QA teams and teaches them how to use it correctly. Developers team write the automated unit tests before the code. This allows for optimizing the testing process in the early stages. QA specialists now don’t need to test applications on each stage and can check it on the last stages of development. It greatly saves time.
- After automation of routine processes, DevOps specialists can focus on the so-called bottlenecks. It means the continuous improvement of the existing system (the software itself and its environment). Simultaneously, DevOps engineer deploys the infrastructure for the developers.
- This way, the DevOps team organizes the CI/CD (Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment) pipeline. Sometimes it is called “leave no room for the human mistake”. In other words, DevOps modify all the processes in the most efficient way to make other teams work simpler and more productively.
DevOps philosophy puts the development reliability in the first place. It helps make the process of software development reliable and make releases when you need them.
Wrap Up: do you need DevOps managed services?
As we discussed, DevOps can significantly increase the efficiency of software development, improve its predictability and make a lot of processes automated. You can implement DevOps by hiring in-house specialists or by referring to the third-party company.
The more preferable way is to hire a Managed Service Provider because you’ll have the whole team at once. Managed DevOps Service Provider can implement DevOps methodology to your company with minimal risk. As a result, your business will have the following benefits:
- cost reduction;
- increased development efficiency;
- time savings;
- infrastructure improvement.
There is the small list of benefits you’ll have but you can be sure you’ll like working with an MSP!